Is Professional Teeth Whitening Better Than At-Home Treatments?
Are you embarrassed by your less-than-white teeth? Red wine, coffee, tea and cigarette smoking can all stain your teeth. Many people turn to teeth whitening to restore their smile.
However, it can be hard to decide on the best way to whiten your teeth. Do you buy a kit at your local pharmacy or do you see your dentist for a professional job? In-office bleaching treatments are often preferable to over-the-counter treatments. Here are a few reasons why.
• It’s more effective. In-office bleaching treatments use high-concentration whitening gels that can only be applied by a dental professional. The stronger product means your teeth will get whiter than with other treatments in fewer sessions.
• It’ll irritate your gums and teeth less. A dental professional will use a rubber dam or hardening resin to prevent the whitening gel from causing sores or inflammation on your gums.
• It’s easy. Whitening your teeth at home can be difficult. The strips may not stay in place and store-bought gels can irritate your gums. When you opt for in-office treatments, all the work is done for you. You can relax for the duration of the appointment and leave with visibly whiter teeth.
A Happy Medium: Custom Whitening Trays
If you’d prefer to whiten your teeth from the comfort of your own home, but still want professional quality treatments, custom whitening trays may be for you. Your dentist will take moulds of your teeth to create a custom tray that you’ll take home along with a whitening gel. This product isn’t as strong as what’s used for in-office treatments but is more effective than over-the-counter options.
How to Maintain Your White Teeth
Unfortunately, teeth whitening treatments don’t last forever. Your teeth can and will become stained again, but there are ways to keep them white longer.
• Avoid liquids that can stain your teeth, like coffee, tea and soda. You can also drink them through a straw, which minimizes contact with your teeth.
• Don’t smoke. Not only is it bad for your health but tobacco smoke can also yellow your teeth.
• Practice proper oral hygiene. Brush your teeth twice a day, floss daily and visit your dentist twice a year for checkups and cleanings. Whitening toothpastes can also help keep your teeth polished and white.
Professional Teeth Whitening in South Edmonton
If you’d like to know more about teeth whitening or other cosmetic dentistry services like veneers or Invisalign, Heritage Dental Centre can help. Call us today to make an appointment at our South Edmonton clinic.