Braces or Invisalign: Which is Best?
There are two main types of teeth-straightening treatments: traditional braces and clear aligners (commonly known by the brand name Invisalign). Here are the advantages and disadvantages of both options.
Advantages of Braces
These are some of the main reasons you might decide to use traditional braces:
• They’re suitable in all situations. Braces can treat even the most complex teeth and jaw issues.
• They stay in place. It’s impossible to lose these braces. Plus, prolonged treatment time due to irregular wear won’t be an issue.
• Suitable for people of all ages. Even kids can benefit from braces.
Disadvantages of Braces
There are many good reasons to opt for regular braces, but there are also some drawbacks including the following:
• They’re usually visible. Many people don’t like the look of the metal brackets and wires on their teeth.
• Oral hygiene is more difficult. Brushing and flossing around the braces can be tricky and may require special tools.
• You may need to change your diet. Foods that are hard or sticky may dislodge the wires on your braces. In particular, it may be difficult to bite right into foods such as corn on the cob or apples, so you’ll need to cut them before consuming.
• More appointments are necessary. Expect to make a visit to your dental practitioner at least once a month for a tightening and checkup.
Advantages of Invisalign
Invisalign uses 3D scans of your mouth to make a series of customized aligners. Here are a few reasons this may be the option for you:
• They’re invisible. As the name suggests, the clear aligners are difficult to discern.
• You can remove them. This allows you to brush and floss your teeth easily and eat whatever you want.
• There are fewer consultations required. Because you can change from one alignment tray to another yourself, you’ll spend less time at your dentist’s office.
Disadvantages of Invisalign
These are a few of the drawbacks of using clear aligners to fix your teeth.
• You must be disciplined. In order to work effectively, Invisalign must be worn 20 to 22 hours a day.
• They can’t fix all issues. Invisalign can’t fix issues such as large gaps in the teeth or jaw alignment problems.
• They can be inconvenient. Before you drink or eat anything, you must remove your Invisalign and then thoroughly clean your teeth and the trays before putting them back in.